The painter and architect, David Cullearn, was born 1941 in Bradford. He worked initially as a carpenter and joiner before studying art and architecture at Leeds College of Art under the tutelage of the celebrated artist and art teacher, Harry Thubron.
In 1964 David gained a Diploma in Architecture and was also successful in completing the art course at the college, leading him to pursue a successful career spanning both architecture and art. He has been an active Member of Society of Artists in Architecture, including serving as their former chairman, and as treasurer.
A specialist in landscape and architectural paintings, he uses a range of art medium, including watercolour, oil, and pencil, and his work is recognised by its ethereal character. For 25 years he also produced miniature reproductions of his landscapes as Christmas cards. In 1997 told the Bradford ‘Telegraph & Argus’ that he estimated that he had completed more than 1,000 paintings over a 40 year period (T&A 08/05/1997).
His paintings have been widely shown, including at the Mall Gallery, London, and at Royal Academy and Royal Scottish Academy of Arts exhibitions. His first solo exhibition was in 1980 at the Phillips and Sons Gallery, Marlow, and other solo shows have been held, including ‘David Cullearn – A retrospective’, in 1997, at The Gallery, Cowcross Street, London. A smaller selection of work was also shown at The Portico Library and Gallery in Manchester. He still lives in Yorkshire, near Huddersfield.
See also artists profile at Society of Artists in Architecture website: Socaa